Click here to download a PDF file to "Petition for Grade of Incomplete."
GRADE OF INCOMPLETE POLICY
1. If a student does not submit all of the required work by the last class meeting, it is the student’s responsibility to get the professor’s signature on a Petition for a Grade of Incomplete. These forms are online and in the literature rack on the wall outside of the registrar’s office. The professor has the right to not grant a grade of incomplete. If the professor does grant the temporary grade of Incomplete, the work must be submitted to the professor no later than the end of the next quarter.
2. The professor will submit to the registrar a grade of Incomplete (I) and an alternate grade based on the work done to date (e.g., I/C). When the work is completed and submitted to the professor, the professor fills out a Change of Grade form and gives it to the registrar. If the work is not submitted by the deadline, the professor gives the registrar a grade reflective of the completed work at their own discretion. An exception is made only in cases of illness or emergencies.
3. In the case of an appeal, the final decision will be made by an ad hoc appeals committee comprised of the program director, a faculty member, a student appointed by the program director and a student chosen by the student making the appeal.
4. Student's responsibilities:
a. Fill out a Petition for a Grade of Incomplete and take the original plus 2 copies of it to the professor for approval. Submit the original to the registrar, give one copy to the professor and keep one copy for your files.
b. Complete required work and submit it to the professor by no later than the end of the next quarter.
5. Professor's responsibilities:
a. You have the option of indicating on the Grade Report from the registrar an alternate grade based on the student’s work to date.
b. Fill in your requirements for completion of the work on the Petition for a Grade of Incomplete form and sign and date it.
c. When the required work is submitted to you, complete a Change of Grade form and submit it to the registrar.
6. The registrar will enter the professor’s final grade in the student’s record, and, in the case of Cooperative MDiv program students, forward that grade to the student's cooperating seminary.