ECUMENICAL THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY
Many traditions. One Spirit.
Ecumenical Theological Seminary provides a multi-confessional Christian theological education within an urban context, while initiating interfaith engagement. Our approach creates spiritual leadership through personal transformation, social responsibility, critical reflection and academic rigor. ETS graduates are prepared to lead communities of faith while sharing God’s compassion in relationship to various ecumenical, interfaith, political, social, economic, and cultural contexts.
Ecumenical Theological Seminary is guided in its mission by the following principles:
- We promote ecumenical dialogue and action across a spectrum of faith traditions.
- We facilitate relationships among city, suburban and rural congregations and colleagues.
- We seek to develop an ever-expanding consciousness of the way spiritual and social realities affect each other.
- We seek to foster justice at local, national and global levels, beginning with accountability to those who are the most marginalized.
- We seek to utilize educational methods that are flexible, transformational and uniquely relevant to the needs of our students and our world.
- We encourage all members of our learning community to evaluate and utilize insights from a broad spectrum of life experiences.
- We seek to connect academic theory with life practice.
- We ground ministerial vision and social action in our life of prayer, encouraging ongoing reflection regarding self, community, global concerns, and relationship to God.