Imam Mustapha Elturk
Imam Mustapha Elturk was born in Beirut, Lebanon in 1955. He immigrated to the USA in 1976 amid the start of the Lebanese civil war. With a Bachelor of Arts degree in Mathematics, he retired his Electronics Engineering Consultant profession to dedicate the rest of his life to the service of Islam.
Imam Elturk is a student of the Islamic thinker and scholar, Dr. Israr Ahmad, one of the most respected contemporary teachers of the Qur’an. Imam Elturk’s passion to study the Qur’an dates back to 1995 when he encountered Dr. Israr Ahmad in one of his lectures in America which gave Imam Elturk the spark to delve into the meaning and understanding of the Qur’an.
Imam Elturk is quite active in the Muslim community of North America. He has been active in propagating the message of the Qur'an to Muslims and non-Muslims alike through Friday sermons and lectures in Mosques and other facilities all across America.
Imam Mustapha Elturk, is a publically engaged Muslim leader and a leading interfaith activist in the Detroit Area. Elturk served on many boards. He is,
- A board member of the University Islamic Center (Wayne State) in Detroit, Michigan.
- An executive board member/Treasurer of the InterFaith Leadership Council (IFLC) formerly the Interfaith Partners of the Michigan Roundtable for Diversity and Inclusion (MRDI)
- President of the board of directors of the Interfaith Center for Racial Justice (ICRJ).
- A member of the Steering Committee of the Community of Faiths, Police, and City (CPC) of the City of Warren.
- Vice-Chair of the Council of Islamic Organizations of Michigan (CIOM) and Co-Chair of the Imams Committee of CIOM.
- A member of the Imams with the Assembly of Muslims Jurists of America (AMJA) under the leadership of Sh. Dr. Salah al-Sawy.
Imam Mustapha Elturk joined the Islamic Organization of North America, IONA in 1995 and became quite involved as he was appointed the Director of Education and Training prior to his present position as an Imam and President. He is a full time Imam at IONA.