Financial Aid

Financial Aid at ETS
You have received your call, and ETS would like to help you to finance your theological education. Financial Aid is assistance received by a student to pay educational costs: tuition, fees, books, and supplies. Financial aid may include scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs.

MDiv, MA, and DMin students may also participate in several financial aid programs for graduates and professional students such as the Michigan Tuition Grant and the Stafford Loan programs. There are a variety of grants and scholarships available for all ETS students who qualify. Note that the UMD program does not qualify for Federal Student Loans.

What is Financial Aid?
Need-based aid requires a student to complete a financial statement (the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA) that is used to determine the relative financial strength of a student. For independent students, usually graduate or doctrine students over the age of 24, the finances of the student and the spouse are considered.

Need-based aid generally comes in the form of grants, loans, and work-study programs. The amount of aid a student receives is limited by financial need. Financial need is determined by each school based on the cost of education minus the expected family contribution information from the FAFSA.

There is a third category called non-need-based aid. Generally, non-need based aid comes in the form of loans, either guaranteed by the government or approved by private sources. Non-need-based aid may be used to supplement need-based aid up to the total cost of education.

Applying for Financial Aid 
To apply for financial aid you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and a Master Promissory Note. This applies to incoming first-year students and transfer students, as well as returning students who wish to renew their aid for another year. The FAFSA determines your financial need and eligibility for aid by weighing the cost of your education against the ability of you and your family to pay that cost.
ETS School Code
Our School Code is G40024

Requesting a FAFSA form 
FAFSA forms are available online at

Additional Financial Aid Source

Students, who need additional aid for funding their education at ETS, can apply for loans through the FFELP loan program. Students can borrow up to $18,500 in funds on an annual basis. Of that, $8,500 may be subsidized by the federal government. The government may pay the interest on the note. To apply for federal loan funds, students will need to complete a FAFSA application and a Master Promissory Note.

ETS has established some scholarship to assist students with financial need.

Who Qualifies? 
To qualify for federal aid, a student must meet the following qualifications:

  • be a U.S. citizen , permanent resident, or other qualifying non-citizen (not on a student visa)
  • if male and born after December 31, 1959, be registered for the selective service
  • not be in default on a student loan or owe a repayment on a federal grant
  • not have received loans in excess of the federal limit for their academic level
  • not have a drug conviction that precludes the student from receiving federal aid
  • be admitted into the MDiv, MA, or DMin program.

They MUST complete Exit CounselingOR, when they drop below halftime status in order to qualify for the FFELP and/or the Stafford Loan program students MUST completeEntrance Counseling and upon completion of their educational program.

Link To Financial Aid Calculator

Entrance Counseling link

Exit Counseling link