Baptist History and Polity - TPMT7002
The Baptist History and Polity Course is designed to give students critical understanding and appreciation of Baptist life, thought, and practice through 400 years of history.
This purpose will be accomplished through required reading, research, class participation, and engagement with the following topics:
- Baptist origins and struggles to achieve identity
- Theological, cultural, and historical factors affecting Baptist development
- Contributions of significant Baptist leaders
- Baptist influences on the wider Christian world and on public life
- Evolution of Baptist life at local, regional, and national levels with attention to contemporary polity and practice
This course meets a requirement of the American Baptist Churches for ordination or recognition of prior ordination.